CUTCSA is the biggest public transportation company in Uruguay. And this is the most consumed webapp for consulting real-time bus routes and schedule in Uruguay.
With more than 5170 bus lines variations, our tasks during the development of this project consisted in the following:
- Create an efficient procedure to import the 5170+ bus lines from the API into a local DB for quick access.
- Locally store the paths and routes of those bus lines that were in a 500m radio from the user’s position in order to avoid mobile data consumption.
- Pairing real-time position coming from those buses with built-in GPS devices with the schedule chronogram in order to determine the estimated delay of each bus.
- Daily exportation task to periodically generate backups of the paths for each line in JSON format (for easy migration).
- Including frequent position-checking to cut the street lines properly